If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
The Powertrain Engineer, Electric Machine will be responsible for component development and validation of cutting edge electric vehicle traction motors. Define key specifications for e-motor operation, including performance envelope (continuous and transient) and durability testing. Define sub-component and assembly DFMEA, DVP&R and testing specifications for both rotating and stationary components of the electric machine. Collaborate with a talented team of design, CAE, and system engineers to create a highly integrated drive unit assembly with electric traction motor, geartrain, cooling and power electronics.
Responsibilities and Goals:
- Drive design changes focused on performance improvements, system mass, efficiency, NVH, durability, and thermal.
- Own DFMEA, DVP&R and test procedures for electric machine (rotating and stationary) components and completed assemblies.
- Select and collaborate directly with traction motor component suppliers for copper/iron/insulation system, setting requirements and quality standards
- Define accelerated life tests, test conditions, and pass/fail criteria for all electric machine sub components as well as completed system.
- Correlate life testing to life predictions, refining analysis/models collaborating with CAE engineers.
- Post process test results, identify root-cause of potential issues and make design recommendations to meet the highest level of durability, efficiency and performance for Canoo vehicles.
- Support vehicle testing to correlate to bench/dyno testing.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or Equivalent
- 10+ years of Automotive powertrain development and validation experience, including electric machine experience
- First hand experience on development and validation of traction motor components and assemblies from prototype into production scenarios
- Strong understanding of electric machine mechanical and thermal physics
- Experience of Test-Simulation correlation in the component / sub-system / models
- Strong communication skills and experience with presenting results and recommendations to multidisciplinary teams
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or Equivalent
- Experience in electric vehicle powertrains, including various traction motor architectures
- Experience preparing test articles, collaborating with testing resources to complete DVP&R activities
- Experience in structural and analysis methods and tools such as Optistruct / HyperMesh / HyperView / Abaqus
- Experience with CATIA V6/3D experience
- Electric motor simulation experience
- Experience with Matlab, Labview/Simulink
- Thermal / structural coupled simulation experience
- Experience but not limited to steel and aluminum structure
- Design and development of component and sub-system tests
- Team building and mentoring experience
- High attention to detail
- Hands On
- Can-do attitude
- Collaboration and Communication skills
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Share Option Plan
- Beautiful new facility in Torrance
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
- A world-class team. Most of our leaders have their own Wikipedia page
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.