If you're intrigued by the dream of working alongside the smartest & most revolutionary designers and engineers in the EV space, Canoo just may be the place for you. Are you a person who is irked by the status quo? Do you derive personal satisfaction from doing something you've never done before, and seeing that work actually put into production? Here at Canoo, every day is vastly different from the one before it, as we're moving swiftly toward our goal of changing the way the world looks at Urban Mobility. We’re a well-funded start-up, led by the who's who of EV business leaders, whose passion brought them together on this special mission. We're diligently preparing for our first vehicle launch and looking for deeply experienced and passionate talent, who are not just looking for a “job," but rather are driven to raise the bar and create new benchmarks within the global EV industry. Read on...
The Power Electronics Engineer will design power electronic components including but not limited to DC-DC converter and On Board Charger for Canoo’s electric vehicles. This person will utilize innovative approaches and follow established best practices to create designs with highest efficiency and compact size to maximize vehicle performance and minimize battery requirements. The candidate will develop requirements for systems and components, analyze possible system architectures, ensure functional safety and failure modes are mitigated, and that the interactions between the electrical, mechanical, thermal and software domains are well managed.
Responsibilities and Goals
- Understand design requirements from system and component level and capture them in a PRD
- Select topology to maximize efficiency, performance and minimize size and cost
- Validate concepts by design calculations and simulations
- Design circuits and systems using schematic capture tool
- Design magnetic components and guide vendor to manufacture said components
- Layout PCB or work with PCB layout engineer to create PCB designs with high level of power and signal integrity and low EMI
- Board bring up, optimization and complete testing of power electronic designs
- Take designs through regulatory approvals for EMI and safety
- Create and execute reliability test plans
- Perform safety-oriented analyses such as component stress analysis, DFMEA and HARA
- Present concise and effective design reviews
- Cross functional work with mechanical, thermal and FW teams
- Master’s or Ph.D. in electrical engineering with focus and at least 2+ years of experience in analog and digital AC-DC and DC-DC power electronics
- Hands on experience in switched mode power supply design and development
- Deep understanding of AC-DC and DC-DC analog and digital control loops
- Experienced in debugging and solving power and EMI issues
- Experience in standard lab equipment such as power analyzer, oscilloscopes, frequency response analyzer
- Capable of creating models, simulations, and analysis tools to solve engineering problems using PLECS, MATLAB, Mathcad or similar engineering tools
- Strong familiarity with design, development and manufacturability of power converters
- Independent and self motivated
- Great team player who thrives on open communications and brainstorming
- Highly focused on creating the best designs to achieve the highest quality product
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to engineering excellence through data driven decision making
- Works well on projects on their own as well as with a team, able to clearly communicate ideas.
- Hands-on interest in developing a real world product from concept to production stages.
What's Cool About Working Here...
- Four months paid primary care giver leave
- Flexible PTO
- Participation in the Employee Share Option Plan
- Beautiful new facility in Torrance
- Casual workplace with an unbelievable feeling of energy
- Work in a high-growth start up that will redefine urban mobility
- A world-class team. Most of our leaders have their own Wikipedia page
Canoo is an equal opportunity-affirmative action employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.